Hop and Beer Temple

video Hop and Beer Temple

Book your Hop Tour

  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

In November 2017 there are 190 tours remaining

Tour Route - Intermediate Loop

Tour Route - Intermediate Loop


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

13. St. Vitus Church
The pavement indicates the layout of an early Romanesque church dedicated to St. Vitus.  It was built as a wooden structure located inside an enclosed courtyard of the 11th century. In the same century, it was reconstructed to form a brick single-nave church with a semicircular apse. After the foundation of the town in the 13th century, the site was no longer used as a burial ground and served only as a chapel. The church was ruined after 1409.

14. “Hussite Bastion”
The only preserved bastion of the town fortification from before 1463.  In the oldest image of Žatec from the beginning of the 17th century, there are two more massive bastions visible in the western part of the town. After 1836, this structure was used for residential purposes. In 1946, it partly collapsed and it was newly reconstructed. Now there is the Museum of Homo Lupulus, the ancient hop-growing people.
15. Town Theatre
Žatec Theatre, which is older than the National Theatre in Prague, was one of the first provincial theatres in the Czech Lands.  The foundation stone was laid in 1848. One year later, the Late-Classicist building was ceremonially inaugurated. The remarkable drape of 1948 is the work of the academic painter Oskar Brázda.

16. Neruda Square
The square is lined by hop warehouses from the turn of the 20th century. In the Middle Ages, there was a settlement called Brandejs and a church dedicated to Saint Michael here. Vampire graves from the early Middle Ages were found in the neighbourhood. However, it has been proven that the site was used as a burial ground as late as 1616. A place of interest was the local ossuary. In 1788, Brandejs was struck by a devastating fire. Not only the church burnt down, but so did 91 houses and 24 barns.

17. Smetana Square
In the 19th century, the square was called the Cattle Market. i.e. a place where the cattle market had been taking place since the Middle Ages.  The square, mostly with administrative buildings, was refurbished in the 1990s. In the middle of the square, there is a column with a statue of Saint John of Nepomuk with a cross, five stars and an olive branch, which is dated by a chronogram to 1700. It was refurbished in 1884.

18. Hop-Growing Square
On the site of the former famous Hop Stamping Office, there is now a hop processing area. Close to the gatehouse, a memorial with reliefs of the notable hop-growers Theodor Zuleger, Josef Fischer and Dr. Hans Damm was built in 1932. About ten metres behind the memorial, the greatest treasure of the early Middle Ages dating back to the beginning of the 11th century was found in 1937. In the vicinity, evidence of iron production and processing of non-ferrous metals were found from the days of existence of grads.

19. Kříž's Villa
The house is located in the former district called Skotník. It was named after the district court counsellor JUDr. Wilém Kříž, who had owned the building until the end of World War II. The previous owner Ambrož Wolfram had organised fruit exhibitions in the garden. The structure is a unique example of the Neo-Renaissance architecture. At the same time, it documents the town's prosperity at the end of the 19th century.

20. Čeradice Gate
Čeradice (or Majnuš's) Gate was a part of the fortification of the Prague Suburb. Despite having been removed as late as 1834, only a single depiction of 1611 have been preserved. Its actual dimensions and exact location was revealed by an archeological survey conducted in 1996. This is the place through which the Winter King Frederick V entered the town on his way from Kadaň to the coronation in Prague.

21. Evangelical Church
In the second half of the 19th century, Žatec began to expand south of the former Wussin's (now Comenius') Alley.  Besides residential houses, new schools, hospitals and parks have been built there. At the junction of old roads, which are still documented by a stone signpost, a Pseudo-Renaissance evangelical church was constructed between 1897 and 1898 according to the plans of Josef Petrowský.

22. K. A. Polánek's Regional Museum
The museum is located in the building of the former hospital built in 1857.  After 1899, there was an orphanage there, and after 1938, the whole building has been used for museum purposes. The exhibitions provide information on the prehistoric ages of the Central Ohře Area, the history of the town and the largest cabinet of hop stamps in Bohemia. Next to the entrance, there is a commemorative plaque of the archeologist Helmut Preidel.

23. Hop Museum
An item of interest is the preserved potter's furnace of the 14th century, discovered in the course of construction work.  In the vicinity, there is a unique set of hop packing, drying and storing plants dating back to the turn of the 20th century, evidencing the golden age of hop-growing in Žatec.

24. Renaissance Malt House
This building, formerly incorrectly regarded as a chapel of the Lord's Body, is the symbol of brewing industry in Žatec. This is because it was built as a Renaissance malt house with a kiln for malt drying and a well in the courtyard. It was used for these purposes at least between 1681 and 1775, and later as the town granary. In 1801, the building was reconstructed for residential purposes.

25. Prague Gate
Before 1821, there was the Prague Gate with a massive forward fortification on this site.  The fortification consisted of a gate with a tower, a barbican with an external tower, and a bridge over the town ditch. In front of the bridge, there was one more fortification with two bastions. After 1621, the head of the mayor Maxmilián Hošťálek was hung on the Prague Gate. Three arches of the Gothic stone bridge are still available from the root cellar of the house no. 243.   A part of the forward fortification of the 15th centuty – a corridor with two cannon pits, has been preserved underground between the house no. 243 and the bus station. 

26. Adolf Seifert
This house was occupied by MUDr. Adolf Seifert (4 March 1826 – 11 June 1910), author of fundamental historical work on the history of Žatec, and his wife's parents.  His work is still the fundamental source of the historical study of the town. He was also involved in politics and was the founding member and a long-term chairman of the Žatec Hop-Growing Association.

© 2010 Chrám chmele a piva Žatec
All rights reserved

Vize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snem