Hop and Beer Temple

video Hop and Beer Temple

Book your Hop Tour

  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   

In November 2017 there are 190 tours remaining

Tour Route - Long Loop

Tour Route - Long Loop


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

27. Chelčický Square
At this square, an unknown single-nave church from the beginning of the 12th century with a massive tower and a semicircular apse was uncovered.  In its vicinity, the excavations revealed 258 graves, some of which even with tombstones. This square, situated on the site of the ancient settlement of Žitník, is the remainder of a cemetery which was abandoned after the foundation of the town. In the Middle Ages, there was a fountain in the middle of it.

28. Half-Timbered House
It is the last preserved house of the originally large number of half-timbered buildings in Žatec.  According to the dating of the wood used to build it, the house was constructed in the Mlynáře suburb around 1673. It is therefore one of the oldest standing structures of its kind in the Czech Republic. The architecture of the building was influenced by the German Renaissance. The extraordinary quality of the timberwork is visible especially on the northern face.

29. Ludwig Engl
This house was occupied by the teacher, town chronicler and conservator Ludwig Engl (27 December 1872 to 9 July 1936).  In addition to his profession, he also wrote several articles about the history of the town. His archeological collection is kept at the Museum of Natural History in Vienna. His art talent is also evidenced by the remarkable set of graphics depicting Žatec approximately from the period of World War I.

30. Church of St. James the Greater
It was built on the site of an older church at the end of the 15th century.  It was originally a cemetery church built next to the municipal burial ground. In 1765, a tower with two bells was added to the church. The remarkable tombstone inside belongs to the first wife of the mayor Maxmilián Hošťálek named Kateřina and to her six children. After World War II, the church began to be used by the Orthodox Church. Inside, there is an iconostasis from the 17th century and an original altar painting of St. James.

31. Capuchin Monastery
At the former Red Gate, a Capuchin monastery with the Church of the Coronation of the Virgin was built between 1676 and 1684.  The square convent with arcades and a viridarium is adjoined by an extensive garden. In the church, there is a Baroque altar; the decoration of the interior dates back to 1705 to 1710. The monastery was closed down in 1950.

32. Elementary School
In the 19th century, Žatec was the world's capital of hop growing.  Because of the increase in population, the town decided in 1876 to build a new school near the Capuchin monastery. According to the plans of the architect Karel Schlimp, a 97-meter-long building, the biggest elementary school in the region, was constructed. It was ceremonially inaugurated on 2 September 1880.

33. Gymnasium
A unique monument of Art-Nouveau architecture in the town.  The building, which replaced the old gymnasium at the Florian Square, was built according to the plans of the architect Ernest Schäfer from Liberec. One of the members of the jury of the architectonic competition was Josef Zítek, the architect of the National Theatre in Prague. At the ceremonial opening in 1903, the school was named Gymnasium of the Emperor Franz Joseph.
34. Hop-Growing Institute
The hop-growing research institute was established in Žatec in 1952.  Now this building now has been housing the Hop Research Institute since 1974. Its premises also include cultivating hop gardens. The institute deals with the study of hop genetics, hop cultivation, research on pests, and proposes plant protection systems. It is the only producer of new varieties of Czech hop. There is an experimental brewery with the capacity of 60 litres of wort located here.

35. Church of St. Wenceslaus
The first reference to the Church of St. Wenceslaus in the Lower Suburb dates back to 1357, but it was probably built as early as the 12th century.  Its current appearance is the result of Baroque adjustments from the 17th century. The church bells were cast in 1757 by Zachariáš Ditrich in Prague. The cemetery around the church was surrounded by a wall, whose renovation was carried out with stones from the Red Gate demolished in 1836.

36. Iron Truss Bridge
Between 1827 and 1891, there originally was a chain bridge here, the first of its kind in Bohemia. Its chambers used to anchor the bridge structure have been preserved to this day. Back then, it was the only road connecting the town with the district of Dvorník situated across the river. It was built according to the project of Bedřich Schnirch, the pioneer of the construction of chain bridges. In 1895, the construction of the current truss bridge was initiated and the bridge was opened on 13 June 1896.

37. Former Dreher Brewery
In 1898, a group of entrepreneurs founded a new brewery with a malt house in Žatec.  Shortly after that, 85 thousand hectolitres of the Urstoff beer and of the special brand Saint Hubert were brewed there. The objective was to expand the prestige of Žatec hop and barley over the world. The products of the brewery were also exported abroad – mainly to Germany and the United States. In those days, the brewery was the most modern one in the Austrian monarchy and was used as an example for all the other plants. It was later named “Dreher's Export Brewery”. After World War II, the plant was closed down.

© 2010 Chrám chmele a piva Žatec
All rights reserved

Vize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snemVize přestane být snem